Sunday, January 18, 2009

~The unplanned experiment~

We've been slowly trying to re-stock our pantry and freezers. Between our not really shopping on a regular basis, and the costs of everything going up so much - it's turning out to be a much slower process than I remember it being in the past. Of course, since we didn't have a garden last year - we're having to keep stocked up on canned and frozen produce from the market as well. I was beginning to wonder what it is exactly we need to stock up on most/first - The conventional pantry space upstairs is all set -and now that we know we can fit in extra pantry space in the basement - there's actually a room down there with shelves already. We just wanted to make sure we were not going to have a problem with water or dampness down there. When we first bought the house, it was quite damp down there. Of course, one of the hot water heaters was leaking, and there was no outside vent for the dryer - we knew that didn't help - but we were not sure that was the only reason(s) it was damp down there. Once that was rectified - we wanted to be sure that it was going to stay dry enough to use for storage. Now that we know it is, and we have a dehumidifier to use as well - I began to wonder what it is we could actually need.

I'm a bit out of practice really - I honestly could think of 100 things - but couldn't narrow down what should be first. Then, we had an experiment. We experienced a minor cash flow problem - Somehow, our address was changed at the payroll office for hubby's job. His checks come in the mail. So, for 2 weeks - his checks were mailed to a nonexistent address, and returned to the main office for where he works. We spent virtually nothing for 2 weeks. We don't own a car, and he carpools to work. The guy he rides with was still going to work for the 2 weeks any way, and accepted being paid late for his share of gas money. If he were driving himself to work, we would have actually been in more of a bind - Mobile or Exxon isn't going to let you gas up for the week and catch up with them later for the bill... OK, we were fine as far as all meals went - but we did fall short on a couple of things. Bread, milk, and eggs. Really - milk and eggs. If I had enough of those two things, I could make the bread. We used to bake our own bread before I went back to working outside the home...now that I'm home again, I've just gotten lazy. There is a Stewart's 2 blocks away, and the kids are big enough to send to the store....Yeah, lazy is the word. I had actually considered buying powdered milk - but it's so expensive. A box that 'makes' 4 gallons costs almost as much as 4 gallons of milk - so it didn't really seem all that cost effective. Especially since no one actually drinks it. Of course, now I can see it's really a very good idea to keep it on hand. I know you can freeze eggs, and while I've never been a fan of that idea -because I've been trying to lean away from the freezer for long term storage as much as possible. We do get power outages, and I'm afraid of loosing too much of an investment so easily. Still, I'm thinking maybe I should try it. I'll also have to get some flax seed to use as an egg substitute for baking. All in all, it was actually a good experience. It helped me get a better idea of where we need to focus our efforts. It also reminded me that it's really not just one of my quirks that urges me to keep a stocked pantry - it really makes a difference. While hubby was not at all thrilled about the situation - I know it helped that it didn't put us in any dire need of anything. We also learned that we need to keep more cash on hand at home. It's just something we've never been too good at. With the economy as it stands - it's definitely time for us to take our own efforts of sustainability a little more seriously. While we tend to be the most/best prepared for everything in our little circle of family and friends it doesn't really mean we're actually prepared for anything at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment